Bonnie McGuire Jones, Esq.
For over 35 years, Bonnie McGuire Jones has provided Trust, Estate & Tax Planning and Administration for residents of the greater Saratoga – Capital Region. In January 2019 Bonnie will attend the University of Miami’s 57th annual Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning, considered to be the top Estate Planning seminar in the country.
Bonnie holds the highest rating for both expertise and ethics (A-V Preeminent attorney — awarded to only 3% of attorneys in private practice) awarded by Martindale-Hubbell, the independent rating service of the legal profession.
When “times” are uncertain, it is all the more important to put your affairs in order. Estate Planning will bring you the peace of mind that comes from putting yourself and your family in the best position you can be for the experiences ahead. Quite simply, we want to take care of you the way we want our families to be cared for!
For the past decade, our clients have benefited from the firm’s formal arrangement with a Florida law firm that has four Trusts & Estates attorneys, giving our clients the best of both worlds, our firm's signature approach and involvement as well as direct access to excellent Florida Trusts & Estates attorneys who are on-the- ground, year-round in Florida, to assist you.
- New York State Bar (all courts) 1982
- U.S. Federal District Court (Northern District of New York) 1983
- U.S. Tax Court 1983
- U.S. Supreme Court 1993
- BA - St. Lawrence University, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- MA - SUNY Oneonta
- JD - Syracuse University College of Law
- Post-doctoral studies
- Oxford University 2002
- University of Wisconsin Law School 2004
- Harvard Law School 2006, 2010
- New York University Graduate School in Taxation 2013
- University of Miami’s 57th Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning 2019
Speaking Invitations on Trust & Estate Topics
- Union College’s Academy of Lifelong Learning (UCALL)
- Beveryck Senior Living Community's Public Affairs Series
- Albany Law School’s Senior Rights Day
- New York State Bar Association Continuing Legal Education
- New York State Senior Rights Council
- United Jewish Federation of Northeastern New York
- Clifton Park – Halfmoon Public Library
- Saratoga Springs Public Library
- “Revocable Living Trusts” (the 2-hour video made at the New York Bar Center in Albany was the 9th most frequently watched course in that year by attorneys across NY State)
- 10 Life and Business Events Where Charitable Giving Improves Your Results and Your Estate Planning
- "Putting your Affairs in Order"
- "End-of-Life Health Care Decision-Making"
- "Guardianships and Supplemental Needs Trusts for Your Child or Family Member with Disabilities"
- "What You Need to Know and Do Before Your Spouse Dies"
- "Legal and Financial Literacy For the Stages of Your Life"
Community Boards, Present & Past
- Board Member and Secretary, WMHT
- Board Member and President, Estate Planning Council of Eastern New York
- Trustee, Ellis Hospital
- Board Member, Community Foundation for the Greater Capital Region
- Board Member, Saratoga Care Foundation
- Board Member, Saratoga PLAN
- Member, Saratoga County Bar Association
- Ethics Committee Member, The Eddy Retirement Care Communities (Part of St. Peter’s Healthcare Partners)
- Executive Committee Member, New York State Bar Association Trusts & Estates section
- Executive Committee Member, New York State Bar Association Elder Law & Special Needs Law section
Bonnie and her husband Kent, a former Dean of Admissions at Skidmore College, live at the Emma Willard School in Troy where Kent is the Director of College Counseling.
They have two children: Dylan is a Senior Energy Policy Analyst in the US Department of Energy in Washington, DC and will complete his MBA at Johns Hopkins University in May 2019. His wife Erin, who graduated from Washington University and George Washington University, is a board certified epidemiologist who researches diseases carried by bugs, i.e. Zika, Ebola, Lyme Disease, at the Environmental Protection Agency. Daughter Caitlin, after earning her MA at the University of Chicago, teaches history at the Eastside Preparatory School in Seattle. Her husband, Josh, earned his MBA at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton Business School and works for Amazon.