Bonnie McGuire Jones, Esq.
For over 35 years, Bonnie McGuire Jones has provided Trust, Estate & Tax Planning and Administration for residents of the greater Saratoga – Capital Region. Bonnie holds the highest rating for both expertise and ethics (A-V Preeminent attorney — awarded to only 3% of attorneys in private practice) from Martindale-Hubbell, the independent rating service of the legal profession.
Bonnie devotes her entire practice to creating customized Health Care Proxies, Powers of Attorney, revocable and irrevocable Trusts, Wills, beneficiary designations so that retirement savings plan assets retain their tax deferred status, and the many types of related documents to provide a comprehensive Estate Planning safety net during your lifetime and for the inheritances you leave for your family members.
Bonnie meets with clients in anticipation of or response to the most important events and transitions of their lives. Her understanding of the tax consequences as she plans and administers Trusts & Estates is a strength of her practice and enables her clients to do more with what they have. Bonnie has administered approximately 900 Estates and Trusts and continually improves her practices to provide streamlined yet compassionate service. Another dimension of Bonnie’s Estate Planning and Estate Administration practice is her experience and expertise in developing charitable giving arrangements that provide great satisfaction to the donors and great benefits to our local, national and international charitable causes.
For the past two decades, our clients have benefited from the firm’s formal arrangement with a Florida law firm that has four Trusts & Estates attorneys, giving our clients the best of both worlds, our firm's signature approach and involvement as well as direct access to excellent Florida Trusts & Estates attorneys who are on-the- ground, year-round in Florida, to assist you.
Please read the "Areas of Practice" section of our website for a more complete description of our services.
- New York State Bar (all courts) 1982
- U.S. Federal District Court (Northern District of New York) 1983
- U.S. Tax Court 1983
- U.S. Supreme Court 1993
- BA - St. Lawrence University, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- MA - SUNY Oneonta
- JD - Syracuse University College of Law
- Post-doctoral studies
- Oxford University 2002
- University of Wisconsin Law School 2004
- Harvard Law School 2006, 2010
- New York University Graduate School in Taxation 2013
- University of Miami’s Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning 2019
Speaking Invitations on Trust & Estate Topics
- Union College’s Academy of Lifelong Learning (UCALL)
- Beveryck Senior Living Community's Public Affairs Series
- Albany Law School’s Senior Rights Day
- New York State Bar Association Continuing Legal Education
- New York State Senior Rights Council
- United Jewish Federation of Northeastern New York
- “Revocable Living Trusts” (the 2-hour webinar recorded at the New York State Bar Association Center in Albany was the 9th most frequently purchased course in that year by NY attorneys)
- 10 Life and Business Events Where Charitable Giving Improves Your Results and Your Estate Planning
- "Putting your Affairs in Order"
- "End-of-Life Health Care Decision-Making"
- "Guardianships and Supplemental Needs Trusts for Your Child or Family Member with Disabilities"
- "What You Need to Know and Do Before Your Spouse Dies"
- "Legal and Financial Literacy For the Stages of Your Life"
Memberships & Boards
- Board Member and Secretary, WMHT
- Board Member and President, Estate Planning Council of Eastern New York
- Trustee, Ellis Hospital
- Board Member, Community Foundation for the Greater Capital Region
- Board Member, Saratoga Care Foundation
- Board Member, Saratoga PLAN
- Member, Saratoga County Bar Association
- Ethics Committee Member, The Eddy Retirement Care Communities (part of St. Peter’s Healthcare Partners)
- Executive Committee Member, New York State Bar Association Trusts & Estates section
- Executive Committee Member, New York State Bar Association Elder Law & Special Needs Law section
Bonnie and her husband Kent, a former Dean of Admissions at Skidmore College, live at the Emma Willard School in Troy where Kent is the Director of College Counseling.
They have two children: Dylan is a Senior Energy Policy Analyst in the US Department of Energy in Washington, DC and will complete his MBA at Johns Hopkins University in May 2019. His wife Erin, who graduated from Washington University and George Washington University, is a board certified epidemiologist who researches diseases carried by bugs, i.e. Zika, Ebola, Lyme Disease, at the Environmental Protection Agency. Daughter Caitlin, after earning her MA at the University of Chicago, teaches history at the Eastside Preparatory School in Seattle. Her husband, Josh, earned his MBA at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton Business School and works for Amazon.